PDA

View Full Version : Healthy food recommendations wanted!

ThinNRich
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Wondering if anyone has come across a comprehensive list of healthy foods, brands, etc.
I just recently learned that low-fat or fat-free could mean more sugar...so that's why it's recommended to eat full fat items most of the time. That was a zinger! I never even thought about sugar or salt being added to fat-free foods to "bring back" the flavor. I just equated "fat-free" with being better for you.
So this is why I'm wondering if there is some sort of "Best Foods" list out there somewhere.
For instance, there are SO many different types of breads out there! Which one is best for you?
I know white bread is the worst...but do I eat wheat, whole-grain, multi-grain, rye, etc.?
What is the healthiest type of peanut butter, cheese, pasta...everything? There are just too many choices in the stores nowdays.
I know what the healthy foods are: Raw or whole foods....but when it comes to some of the other foods I'm a little lost.
Thanks for any help! :)

shannon
11-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Dali I don't believe there is a healthy bread or pasta. I have heard people choose to eat eziekel bread once they are P4 but i have never had it. I have heard others talk that bread made from sprouts is better then any whole wheat or any other form of bread, bread is just really bad period. The best cheese to eat is real cheese, no preshredded crap it is full of all kinds of crap and will make you gain for sure. If you need to have peanut butter places like Fred Meyer or health food stores have a machine you can grind your own peanut butter which is way better for you or try almond butter. Pasta, well there is just no healthy pasta period.

Mainly its all about reading labels and choosing things that are good for you and yes low fat or sugar free are super bad for you and full of sugars and other bad things. Our bodies need the full fat in order to maintain porperly.

ThinNRich
11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I always used to buy veggie pasta or whole wheat pasta. And we have bought natural peanut butter before.
I think bread confuses me most. I know that no bread is ideal...but there has to be a "best" option.
I looked all over for Ezekiel Bread and finally found it at one of the local grocery stores...so I might look into that.
When I get to P4 I don't think I could continue never having bread.
Thanks for your insight! :)

april
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I am with you, I do not think I could go forever without bread. I am one of those people who do not eat a lot of sandwiches, but I do like bread when I go out, and I love good crackers with cheese. In regards to those I like Mary's Gone Crackers, Doctor Kracker and any kind of rice cracker. I have never been a big yogurt fan but had the fage total today and it was really creamer and rich. I have stayed with solid cheese, learned on here that other cheeses had sugar. Those are just some thoughts..

xxaimsxx
11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I like this site a lot: http://philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/MENU.htm.

Learned a lot of things esp about sugar, what to look out for. Avoid anything with the ingredients that ends in ose. Like Dextrose, etc. =D Happy Reading!

You will find lot of info here.