PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Info on "Seasoning" and Other Items

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Just started 2 weeks ago, and loving it so far. Now that I'm "into it" more, I want to explore more variety than plain grilled meats and veggies. So, I'd like some input on what should be considered as allowed "seasonings" for P1. My questions specifically surround the following no-sugar items:

Chili powder
Crushed red pepper
Mustard (yellow, like French's)
Liquid smoke
Minced garlic (in, say, 1/4 tsp increments)
Mrs. Dash
Cilantro
Smoked paprika
Hot pepper sauce (like Frank's, or some of the Thai hot sauces that are out there)
Garlic salt

Also, I've seen on some websites that low-sodium fat-free chicken or beef broth is allowed. Is this so? I assume one would consider the 15 or so calories per cup as belonging to the "protein" portion of the calorie count.

I've seen, too, that sugar-free Jell-O is allowed (assume you would count the 5 calories per serving as part of the "fruit" portion).

Finally, what about shirataki noodles, those no-cal Asian noodles made from yam flour?

Thanks...looking forward to the feedback!

april
08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Chili powder (I think this is ok)
Crushed red pepper (should be ok)
Mustard (yellow, like French's)(would have to look at all the ingredients, I know Annies does not have any sugar)
Liquid smoke (would have to look at the ingredients on this)
Minced garlic (in, say, 1/4 tsp increments)
Mrs. Dash (I think this is ok..again just check the ingredients for any thing hidden)
Cilantro (fine)
Smoked paprika (should be ok)
Hot pepper sauce (like Frank's, or some of the Thai hot sauces that are out there) Franks I think is ok..I used that and I also you another one. I am not sure about the Thai stuff..you would be amazed at what they put in these things when you start to read)
Garlic salt (fine..but just check...lawry's seasoning salt has sugar in it)
Also, I've seen on some websites that low-sodium fat-free chicken or beef broth is allowed. Is this so? I assume one would consider the 15 or so calories per cup as belonging to the "protein" portion of the calorie count. (I would not use premade broth..you can make it yourself or not use it)

I've seen, too, that sugar-free Jell-O is allowed (assume you would count the 5 calories per serving as part of the "fruit" portion). no..do not do this..

Finally, what about shirataki noodles, those no-cal Asian noodles made from yam flour? (probably not, but you could take a risk)

those are my thoughts...

xxaimsxx
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
No Jello! Those would be from a different protocol and from what I remember used as a "cheat" snack. So don't do it.

I've done miracle noodle wo a problem but everyone is different.

I would avoid any type of low sodium broth bought in stores. I have stalled for days on them. Make your own.

AS for the spices, I've used everything except mustard, smoke liquid (no idea what that is), and hot sauce.

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks! I've scrubbed the items on my list for sugar, and they all should be OK. I didn't list ketchup, because I know most contain sugar.

Curious why not premade broth (Swanson's, for instance). I want to make a "chili" of sorts, and was hoping to start with something other than water and crushed tomatoes.

Also, suggestions on making your own broth (I'm game to do it!) would be great.

xxaimsxx
08-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Because it's still high in sodium regardless if it says low sodium. You can try at your own risk.

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Got it; how do you suggest making your own?

xxaimsxx
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
There are a lot of recipes out there to make your own broth. I normally boil chicken, add seasoning and veggies to the pot. That way I can save the chicken for later to eat and depending what kind of veggies you put in, you can probably eat those for later but not sure about eating the mixed veggies part since it's not on protocol.

I would just google up recipes.

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Works for me; thanks.

shannon
08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome Sleddriver!

Looks like April and Amy got you all squared away with your answer.

The most important thing is to read all labels if no sugar or any kind or form and no starch then the seasoning should be fine.

As far as the store bought broth, sugar free jell-o and the miracle noodles I say no only because they are not on the original protocol and I all about following strict protocol.

Making your own broth like Amy said is the best and safest way to go.

HCG4me
08-09-2012, 06:20 PM
I stalled for a few days recently and realized it was probably all the spices I put into my 93%/7% ground beef hamburger I made myself. Then I found this info - not sure how true it is, but I'm now very careful what spices I do add.

1TB Onion Powder =
22.54 calories

1TB Garlic Powder =
27.91 calories

1TB Chili Powder =
23.55 calories

1TB Paprika =
19.94 calories

1TB Poltry Season =
11.36 calories

1TB Oregano =
13.77 calories

I guess it's true what they say - nothing is FREE in life ! lol!

april
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Just looked at the label of garlic salt..has modified food starch..would stay away from that for now.

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 09:54 PM
WOW, I would never have guessed all of those calories. I'm going to go check them right now...

Sleddriver
08-09-2012, 10:07 PM
HCG4me, your findings are right, although I did find smoked paprika has an even higher count: 20 per teaspoon. The chili recipe I've concocted has only 1/4 teaspoon of most items, but they do add up. Now have to factor those in...and you're right: Nothing is free.

april
08-10-2012, 06:32 AM
When you only have 500..you realize it even more..ever calorie counts.
HCG4me, your findings are right, although I did find smoked paprika has an even higher count: 20 per teaspoon. The chili recipe I've concocted has only 1/4 teaspoon of most items, but they do add up. Now have to factor those in...and you're right: Nothing is free.