PDA

View Full Version : Barbecue!

Sleddriver
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
I love barbecued meats of all kinds. Of course, dealing with the sugar on this diet is the challenge, especially if you're a sweet sauce lover like me. So, I'm dealing with it by subbing dry rubs for the b-sauce.

I recently misplaced my favorite rub recipe, so I went poking around the Internet for something different to try. I found this knockout recipe that I made better in two ways: Killed the brown sugar and substituted SMOKED paprika for ordinary paprika. Here's the recipe:

2-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp cumin
1-1/2 tsp coriander
Scant 1 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp smoked paprika (this makes ALL the difference!!!)
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional for those who don't like heat; more for those who do)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Place everything in a bowl and blend together with a whisk, fork, or spoon until uniform in color and consistency.

I store mine in a little shaker I bought especially for dry rubs.

This is my NEW favorite dry rub, it is so good. I use it in tomato soup that I make from my daily tomato allowance.

I also use it to make "faux brisket" with my meat (sirloin tip) allowance. Here's what I do:

Cut 3.5 oz of sirloin tip or other very lean beef into 1-inch chunks. In a small bowl, place a cup of water and about 2-4 drops of Wright's Liquid Smoke (should be available in the barbecue sauce section of your grocer...comes in a little dark bottle). Place the beef chunks in the water mixture and let marinate for about 30-60 minutes. After marinating, take beef chunks and thread onto grilling skewers (I use bamboo ones, but metal ones are fine, too). Dust the skewer with the dry rub. Cook the skewers on a hot grill, turning every couple of minutes until the doneness you like. When done, remove from grill and let cool before sliding off skewers. PS: To keep bamboo skewers from burning to badly, soak in water before using.

These "brisket" nuggets are great for eating alone, or for dicing up and tossing into a "chili" made with your tomato allowance.

Above all, enjoy!!