Question Q: Burning Fat or Muscle?

Anyone have a doctor recommended way to tell if you are burning fat and not muscle?
    I know that the 500 calorie diet is supposed to be safe because we are burning stored fat reserves but I just want to make sure I'm *really* burning fat and not merrily doing some possible harm to myself.

Yesterday I lost almost 5 lbs in one day and just don't want to hurt my heart.

~J

Blog Entries
    If you have real HCG and are following Dr. Simeons protocol to the T then you will be burning stored bad fats and not muscle.

Blog Entries
    I don't know a doctor recommended method, but I have a kind of common sense method-- it's a little gross, but for me it is reassuring. Check your bowl after a movement. Well, fat floats. If what's going on in there is floaty or even bouyant then you are excreting fat.
    Some people like those ketone strips-- you pee on them and the color of the strips show how much fat is in your urine. Those strips have pros and cons though, I'd research it first.

Like Shannon said, the protocol does protect your muscles. I'm concerned about my heart too. I can tell you that during and after my first round, because of how many inches I lost and how much smaller I got I was convinced that I lost fat, not water or muscle. My strenth did not weaken and I didn't get any 'flutters' or other symptoms of bad heart health.

Finally, when the body is burning fat it goes into various stages of ketosis. The symptoms of ketosis include a metallic taste in your mouth, really sweet/ripe/foul breath and a change in B.O. Do you wake up with weird breath or have you noticed any change in your natural scent? Research ketosis and see if you match any of the symptoms.

JenniJenni, that 5 pound weight loss is OK. It sounds like a whole lot, maybe even a little scary, but honestly it's fairly common to see a big number like that. I read Trudeau's book and he did a pretty good job of explaining how when you lose fat in your body, the supporting structure around the fat is dissolved and released in your B.M.s an urind. Unneeded cells, minute supporting fibers, things like that that are no longer needed to support and hold the fat that you got rid of.

For extra protection, a large percentage of people choose to drop one of the daily fruits (sometimes both) and increase protein by 50-100%. Of course, stay under the 500 calories, but many people are choosing to increase the protein for further protection and decrease the fruit to make up for the calories and to encourage ketosis.

While this is not a ketosis diet, there are enough similarities for comaprison.
    Don't be worried-- this diet really does burn fat instead of muscle.

Thanks for the replies!

I wondered about the ketosis strips (remembered them from Atkins years and years ago but didn't know if the vege carbs like tomato and the 2 fruits would make the strips pointless. I kind of like the idea of switching fruit for more protein but I also don't really want to tamper with the plan. That usually is a slippery slope for me, when I start messing with a good thing, its like permission to cheat after a while. My head is a crazy place to be when it comes to a diet, which is why I haven't done anything like one for over 8 years.

Kevin Trudeau's book sounds very interesting, btw. Another web site was quoting parts of his protocol before you begin the diet and it was intense. So much cleansing and vitamins and colonics, and on and on. I bet anyone would feel better after all that! Did you try any of those things first?

WARNING: TMI to follow:
    Since you went there . . . Speaking of gross . .. the bm I had yesterday was the weirdest ever. No words, lol, like one scrawny poo floating in oil? So ANYWAY ....
    I guess the oil aspect could be lots of fat loss. Just thought I'd share in case anyone has a crazy bathroom experience that they are wondering about. Maybe that should be it's own thread.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!
    ~J